Last week I searched my phone for the nearest coffee shop.
A bunch of results came up so I scrolled down to find the one that appealed to me. I opened the listing to check their hours, read a few reviews, browse photos, and click through to their website to get a sense of the vibe.
Then I went to the place I found.
That’s the power of a Google Business Profile (GBP).
For you coworking space operators, when people search for a coworking space near them, or coworking in your town, you want your space to be in the results and to appeal to your ideal customer/guest/member.
How do you do that?
There are a lot of ways.
In advance of Friday’s Coworking Convo on Google Business Profile Best Practices, here are the must-knows to get you up to speed before our six Convos guests share all their pro tips and strategies.
An Intro to Google Business Profile
Formerly known as Google My Business, Google Business Profile is “a tool for businesses and organizations to manage their online presence across Google, including Search and Maps…to help customers find your business, and to tell them your story.”
It’s also a great tool to boost the SEO of your coworking space. As Search Engine Journal reports:
“One of the best Local SEO strategies that any eligible local business can use to rank higher on Google and get local clients is to claim and optimize their Google Business Profile.
However, claiming your Google Business Profile is just the first step–you must optimize, frequently check and update your Business Profile with new information.
Keeping your Google Business Profile updated is important to your success. According to Ipsos Research, an up-to-date Google Business Profile:
- Is 2.7x more likely to be considered more reputable.
- Gets 7x more clicks.
- Is 70% more likely to attract location visits.
- Is 50% more likely to lead to a purchase.”
Benefits of Using Google Business Profile for Your Coworking Space
Through your GBP you can:
- Connect with leads and potential members
- Post updates about your coworking space
- Share photos of your space
- See (and respond to) reviews of your space
- Answer questions about your space
- List the offerings and services you provide
- Accept online orders
- Drive traffic to your website
- and more
GPB Verification for Your Coworking Space
To update your name and Google Business Profile, you need to get verified to confirm that you are the rightful owner of the business.
Most coworking spaces do this by mail. Once you’re verified, you’ll have permission to manage your profile.
GBP Marketing Kit
Claiming your GBP listing has marketing value-adds for you included in the GBP Marketing Kit.
The Marketing Kit is a tool that “allows you to create free marketing materials to promote your business online and offline.” It includes free videos, posters, social media posts and promotional graphics.
Updating Your GBP
You can update your GBP from your profile. You can also update it directly from Google Search and Maps using these steps:
- Sign in with the Google account used to verify your business
- On Google Maps, tap your profile picture on the top right corner and select “Your Business Profile”
- On Google Search, look up your business by name or search “my business” to update your profile
Learn more about updating your profile: Update your Business Profile on Google Maps and Search
Optimizing Your Google Business Profile
Hootsuite recommends the following to optimize your GBP:
- Complete all elements of your profile: Google specifically says that “businesses with complete and accurate information are easier to match with the right searches.” This improves your score for relevance. The key here is to tell Google visitors “what you do, where you are, and when they can visit.”
- Verify your location(s): Verified business locations are more likely to show in local search results across Google products, like Maps and Search. Including a verified location also helps improve your score for the distance ranking factor (how far your location is from the search or searcher).
- Add real images and videos of your business: Your Google Business Profile includes a logo and cover photo. Use images consistent with those on your social profiles to make it easier for people to recognize your brand. But don’t stop there. Add images and videos to showcase your location, work environment and team.
- Include keywords in your profile: Using the right keywords will improve relevance. Not sure where to start? Try Google Trends or Keyword Planner.
- Encourage and answer reviews and questions: People trust other people more than they trust businesses. A good review can be the deciding factor that tips prospective customers in your favor. Reviews also improve your Google ranking. The best time to ask for a review is after providing a great experience. To make it easier, Google provides a direct link to ask customers to review your business.
- Keep your business information up to date: Make sure to edit your business profile if you change your hours of operation, contact information, etc. Nothing annoys customers more than showing up within operating hours only to find you closed. If you have special hours for holidays or even as a one-off, make sure they are reflected in your Google Business Profile. You can also create Google My Business posts to share updates, product news, offers, and events.
- Add special features and attributes: Special features are available for Google business accounts, depending on the category you’ve chosen.
- Add your products: If you sell products, make sure to add an up-to-date inventory to your Business Profile. In addition to appearing on your profile itself, your products can appear in Google Shopping.
An Essential Tool to Market Your Coworking Space
Google Business Profile is a must-use tool for coworking spaces. In terms of discoverability, reach, maps, SEO, reviews and helping your space to shine in search results, it’s absolutely essential.
Wherever you are in your GBP journey, join us for Friday’s Coworking Convo on GBP best practices. You will learn a ton and walk away with a list of ideas and todos to leverage the immense power of Google. Save your free spot now.
For ongoing Google Business Profile coaching and resources, join us in The Lab.
Marketing your indie coworking space just got easier.
Learn and level up with Cat and The Lab community